


Pakistan’s military has issued a strong warning after comments by India’s Army Chief General Upendra Dwivedi about Pakistan’s future existence sparked tensions between the two nuclear-armed neighbors.
In a statement released Sunday (May 17), Pakistan’s Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said threatening to erase a sovereign nuclear state from the map was “reckless and dangerous.”
The ISPR warned that such remarks could push South Asia toward another major conflict with devastating consequences for the entire region.
The reaction came after General Dwivedi spoke at an interactive session titled “Uniform Unveiled” at the Manekshaw Centre in New Delhi on Saturday (May 16). During the event, he was asked how India would respond if a situation similar to last year’s “Operation Sindoor” occurred again.
In response, the Indian Army chief said that if Pakistan continued to support terrorism and conduct cross-border activities against India, it would have to decide “whether it wants to remain part of geography or disappear into history.”
Pakistan strongly condemned the statement, calling it “ultra-nationalist” and accusing Indian leadership of repeatedly pushing South Asia toward instability and conflict.
The ISPR further said India had failed to understand the reality of Pakistan’s existence even after decades of regional history and conflict.
Islamabad also warned that any attempt to attack or eliminate a sovereign nuclear-armed country would be met with a response of equal force.
Pakistan added that any future military confrontation would not remain limited and could lead to severe destruction across South Asia.