Saturday, 22 August 2026

TikTok secures future in US with new Ownership deal

BT Technology Desk
Disclosure : 23 Jan 2026, 12:59 PM
TikTok has reached a deal to split its US operations from its global business: Photo collected
TikTok has reached a deal to split its US operations from its global business: Photo collected

TikTok has announced a long-awaited deal that will allow the popular short-video app to continue operating in the United States, ending years of political and legal uncertainty.

Under the agreement, TikTok will separate its US operations from its global business through a new entity called TikTok USDS Joint Venture LLC. The move follows prolonged pressure from Washington over national security concerns linked to the app’s Chinese owner, ByteDance.

The deal was announced on Thursday, months before a January 2025 deadline that would have seen TikTok banned in the US if ByteDance failed to divest its American operations. US President Donald Trump had repeatedly delayed enforcement of the ban after returning to office.

A central issue in the negotiations was TikTok’s powerful content recommendation algorithm. Under the new arrangement, the algorithm will be licensed to the US entity and retrained using only US user data. TikTok said the data and algorithm will be secured within Oracle’s US-based cloud system, in line with American data protection and cybersecurity rules.

TikTok said the new joint venture will operate independently and be governed by a seven-member board with a majority of American directors. Adam Presser, a former WarnerMedia executive, has been appointed chief executive of the US business.

Three managing investors—Oracle, Silver Lake and Abu Dhabi-based technology investor MGX—will each hold a 15 percent stake. ByteDance will retain a 19.9 percent share, while the remaining 35.1 percent will be held by other investors, including firms linked to US technology executives.

Oracle will play a key role in securing US user data and overseeing the retraining of the algorithm. TikTok’s global chief executive Shou Zi Chew will also sit on the board of the new company.

For years, US lawmakers had argued that TikTok posed a national security risk, citing fears that the Chinese government could access American user data. TikTok and ByteDance have repeatedly denied such claims.

The idea of banning TikTok was first raised during Trump’s first term in 2020 and gained momentum under President Joe Biden, who signed legislation in 2024 requiring a sale or ban. A legal battle followed, and the app briefly went offline for US users last year before political intervention restored access.

Experts say the new US-only algorithm could change how TikTok works for its estimated 200 million American users, though the full impact remains unclear. Some analysts suggest the app may become lighter or operate differently from the global version.

Reacting to the announcement, Trump said on social media that he was “happy to have helped save TikTok.” The White House and the Chinese embassy in Washington have been contacted for comment.

  • Latest

  • Popular

Kolkata Fire / Relatives Leave With Bodies of Bangladeshi Victims

1

BOU VC Congratulates Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir on His Election as President

2

Abandoned by Family the 2-Year-Old Finds Care in Morelganj UNO

3

Shoriful’s Five-Wicket Haul Puts Australia Under Pressure in Mackay Test

4

Abdul Hai Shikder and Shabnam Mustari to Receive Nazrul Medal 2026

5

Fire Breaks Out in Dhaka-Bound Bus, 30 Passengers Rescued in Ramu

6

TikTok to Pay $400m in U.S. Major Child Privacy Lawsuit Settlement

7

Arsenal, Marseille and Real Betis Begin League Campaigns With Wins

8

15-Year-Old Schoolgirl Saved from Child Marriage in Monohardi

9

US Imposes 50% Tariffs on Canada as Trade Talks Collapse

10

President Mirza Fakhrul Pays Tribute at National Martyrs’ Memorial

11

Gold Prices Rise Again, 22-Karat Gold Hits Tk.246,110 per Bhori in Bangladesh

12

Government Announces New Cabinet Portfolios After Major Reshuffle

13

Bangladesh Bowled Out for 64 as Starc Runs Riot in Mackay Test

14

UN Secretary-General Election / UN Security Council Holds 2nd Straw Poll for Next Secretary-General

15

Tesla and 8 Automakers Recall 4.3 Million Cars in China Over Safety

16

Coast Guard Seizes 3 Tons of Banned Polythene in Bhola Raid

17

Andalib Rahman Partha Sworn In as Minister: Joyful Celebrations Erupt in Bhola

18

England vs Pakistan 1st Test / England Crush Pakistan by an Innings and 103 Runs

19

Prince Harry, Elton John Ordered to Pay Daily Mail £9.5m After Losing Privacy Case

20