Wednesday, 20 May 2026

175 killed in joint US-Nigerian operation

BT International Desk
Disclosure : 20 May 2026, 12:26 PM
Photo: Collected
Photo: Collected

At least 175 militants were killed in joint air and ground operations carried out by US and Nigerian forces in Nigeria over the past three days, according to the Nigerian Defence Forces.

Defence spokesperson Major General Samila Uba confirmed the information in a statement issued Tuesday, May 19.

He said the joint forces conducted operations between May 16 and May 19, killing 175 suspected militants linked to extremist groups operating in the country.

The statement also said several checkpoints, weapons depots and logistics centres used by the groups were destroyed in different parts of Nigeria.

After losing territory in the Middle East in 2018 and 2019, the Islamic State (IS) expanded its activities in Africa through its regional branch, Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP). According to the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data (ACLED), 86 percent of IS-related global activities recorded during the first three months of 2026 took place in African countries.

Nigeria remains one of the main bases of operation for ISWAP. Other armed groups, including Boko Haram and Al-Qaeda-linked militants, have also remained active in the country in recent years.

These groups have been accused of killings, kidnappings, looting and other violent crimes across Nigeria. Despite repeated military campaigns, Nigerian authorities have struggled to fully contain the insurgency.

Following a request from Nigeria earlier this year, the United States deployed around 100 military personnel to the country in February after approval from US President Donald Trump. Their primary role is to train Nigerian forces, although they also take part in major counterterrorism operations.

On May 16, a joint operation reportedly killed Abu Bilal al-Minuki, described as the second-in-command of IS in the region.

Between May 17 and May 19, the operations also reportedly killed senior ISWAP leader Abd al-Wahhab, Abu Musa al-Mangawi and al-Minuki’s close associate Abu al-Muthanna al-Muhajir.

Major General Uba said the operations would continue until militant groups are dismantled.

  • Latest

  • Popular

5 Members of Online Gambling Syndicate Arrested in Pabna

1

Fire Service and Civil Defense Week 2026 Inaugurated in Jhalokati

2

DSCC to Remove Eid Sacrifice Waste Within 8 Hours

3

175 killed in joint US-Nigerian operation

4

Pay scale recommendation to be finalized tomorrow

5

Awareness Meeting on Child Rights and Drug Abuse Held in Paikgachha

6

Youth Dies by Suicide Under Train in Gazipur Note Recovered

7

Every village will become a hub of socio-economic development with Ansar-VDP support: Prime Minister

8

China & ESA Launch SMILE Satellite for Space Weather

9

DUET Students Declare Complete Shutdown Over VC Row

10

Memo Seeks Action for Paikgachha Model Mosque Defects

11

Daganbhuiya Rally Protests Violence on Muslims in India

12

30 Gazipur Garment Workers Fall Ill, Factory Shut for Day

13

Putin Beijing Visit / Putin Arrives in Beijing to Deepen Ties with China

14

Bagerhat Farmers Demand End to Saline Waterlogging

15

3-Day Land Service Fair Opens in Bhola District

16

3 Cox's Bazar Unions Target Child Marriage-Free Status

17

Rooftop Solar Can Meet 14% of RMG Power Demand

18

Bangladesh Bank to Let Market Forces Decide Dollar Exchange Rate

19

170 Stranded Bangladeshis Return Safely From Libya

20