


At least five people were injured after a faction of local political activists used a mosque loudspeaker to mobilize an armed mob, leading to the vandalism and looting of houses and shops in Santhia Upazila on Friday night. Police have arrested four people so far.
The attack took place in the Pathailhat area of Nagdemra Union. While initial confusing reports blamed different factions, local sources confirmed the violence stemmed from a bitter local rivalry between Jamaat-e-Islami and BNP supporters trying to establish political dominance.
Tensions between the groups had been simmering since the last national elections, worsening after a dispute over who would control the local Chhota Pathailhat Eidgah ground and its prayer arrangements.
As the disagreement escalated on Friday evening, a group of men entered the local mosque and seized the microphone from the Muezzin, Mokshed Pramanik.
"A person named Nazrul forced his way to the microphone right in front of me and announced: 'Everyone, take your sticks and come out,'" the Muezzin stated.
Shortly after the announcement, an angry mob armed with locally made weapons attacked residential homes and businesses.
The mob targeted the homes of local residents Rafiq and Shafiq, alongside a prominent retail shop owned by businessman Russell Hossain.
"They vandalized my shop, which sells fertilizer, animal feed, and houses my bKash digital wallet business," Russell said. "They even went to my house and assaulted my wife and child. They looted Tk 200,000 in cash, alongside milk cans and high-value pesticides, costing me nearly Tk 1.5 million in total losses."
On Saturday afternoon, local residents and victims formed a human chain in front of the destroyed shops, demanding the immediate arrest of all perpetrators.
The victim, Russell Hossain, filed a formal case with the Santhia Police Station naming 20 individuals. Following rapid night raids, police apprehended four key suspects: primary accused Hazrat Ali Master, Shakil, Rabiul Islam Kalu, and Mehedi Hasan Jewel.
Santhia Police Station Officer-in-Charge (OC) Rafiqul Islam confirmed the arrests, stating, "A regular case has been registered. We are investigating the looting thoroughly, and police operations are ongoing to capture the remaining suspects."
Pabna-1 Member of Parliament, Barrister Nazibur Rahman Momen, whose supporters were accused of backing the attackers, denied any political involvement. "It is wrong to paint a purely criminal incident with a partisan color," the MP said. "Whoever the culprit is, they must face trial. We are not exercising any political influence here."